One of the most interesting features of the Peggy Guggenheim Collection is the fascinating historical character of both its founder and the location in which it is located.
Peggy Guggenheim has been definitely decisive in the development of Twentieth Century art. Its history is here summarized through a short biography.
Palazzo Venier dei Leoni is an unfinished architectural masterpiece of which we will briefly tell you the history, here follow.
The museum exhibits Peggy Guggenheim’s personal collection, which includes masterpieces of Cubism, Futurism, Metaphysical Painting, European Abstractionism, avant-garde sculpture, Surrealism and American Abstract Expressionism, of some of the greatest artists of the Twentieth Century.
These include Picasso (The Poet, On the Beach), Braque (The Clarinet), Duchamp (Sad Young Man in Train), Léger (Men in the city), Brancusi (Maiastra, Bird in space), Severini (Sea = Dancer), Picabia ( Very Rare Picture on Earth), de Chirico (The Red Tower, The Nostalgia of the Poet), Mondrian (Composition No. 1 with gray and red 1938 / Composition with red 1939), Kandinsky (Landscape with Red Spots no 2), Miró (Seated Woman II), Giacometti (Woman with her throat cut, Standing Woman), Klee (Magic garden), Ernst (The Kiss, Attirement of the Bride), Magritte (Empire of Light), Dalí (Birth of Liquid Desires), Pollock (The Moon Woman, Alchemy), Gorky (Untitled), Calder (Arc of Petals) and Marini (The Angel of the City).
The museum exhibits works donated to the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation, for its Venetian headquarters, after Peggy's death, and also long-term loans from private collections. From July 1997 to September 2015 the Peggy Guggenheim Collection exhibited 26 masterpieces belonging to the famous Mattioli Collection - The Italian art of the early Twentieth Century, including fundamental works by Giacomo Balla, Umberto Boccioni, Carlo Carrà, Fortunato Depero, Amedeo Modigliani, Giorgio Morandi, Ottone Rosai, Luigi Russolo, Gino Severini, Mario Sironi and Ardengo Soffici.
-Hannelore B. e Rudolph B. Schulhof Collection
In October 2012, eighty works of post-war Italian, European and American art became part of the collections of the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation's Venetian headquarters. This is the legacy of Hannelore B. Schulhof, who together with her husband Rudolph B. Schulhof collected these works including paintings by Burri, Dubuffet, Fontana, Hofmann, Kelly, Kiefer, Noland, Rothko and Twombly, as well as sculptures by Calder, Caro , Holzer, Judd and Hepworth. Works of this collection are exhibited in the garden area dedicated to Hannelore B. and Rudolph B. Schulhof.
- Patsy R. and Raymond D. Nasher Sculpture Garden
The Patsy R. and Raymond D. Nasher Sculpture Garden of the Peggy Guggenheim Collection presents works from the Foundation's permanent collection (by artists such as Arp, Duchamp-Villon, Ernst, Flanagan, Giacometti, Gilardi, Goldsworthy, Holzer, Marini, Minguzzi, Mirko, Merz, Moore, Ono, Paladino, Richier, Takis), and temporary loan sculptures belonging to foundations and private collections (by artists such as Marini, Nannucci, Kapoor).